This recipe is so warming and hearty, perfect for a chilly winter evening. As winter arrives, vata or air element becomes dominant in our environment, so choosing opposite qualities such as warmth and unctuous helps ground the vata. It’s full of warming spices, garlic, chickpeas, mushrooms, lemon juice and carrots which simmer in a beautiful coriander infused tomato sauce. I love serving this with quinoa or brown rice to make it extra satisfying but it’s delicious just on it’s own too as it’s bursting with flavour!
-- 8 carrots
– 3 boxes of mushrooms (about 30 mushrooms/850g)
– 3 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
– 2 400g tins of chickpeas
– 600ml of boiling water
– 7 tablespoons of tomato puree
– a big handful of coriander, about 50g
– 2 lemons plus 3 more to serve
– 4 teaspoons of turmeric
– 4 teaspoons of cumin power
– 3 teaspoons of ground chilli
– 3 cloves of garlic
Start by peeling the carrots, then chop them into pieces. Cut the mushrooms into thin slices.